UP Govt nods to Ethanol Production from Sugarcane juice; Pipraich Sugar Milll will be 1st such mill
UP govt presents ₹5,50,270 cr budget today. In view of doubling farmers' income by 2022. From the reports of PTI, Pipraich sugar mill will be the first sugar mill in North India to manufacture ethanol directly from sugarcane juice
By : Sugar Times | 22 Feb, 2021 | 07:36 PM
With a target of making Uttar Pradesh ”atmanirbhar”, the Yogi Adityanath government on Monday presented a ₹5,50,270.78 crore budget for 2021-22 in the state Assembly with a focus on the agriculture sector.
In view of doubling farmers’ income by 2022, an outlay of ₹100 crore has been proposed for Atma Nirbhar Krishak Samanvit Vikas Yojana in the year 2021-22. Outlay of ₹600 crore has been proposed for the Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana.
In the sector of cane development and sugar industry, distillation of 120 kilolitres per day capacity will be established in Pipraich sugar mill which will start in December 2021. There will be s facility to manufacture ethanol.
Pipraich sugar mill will be the first sugar mill in North India to manufacture ethanol directly from sugarcane juice.
The crushing capacity of Mohiuddinpur-Meerut sugar mill of the corporation area was increased to 3,500 TCD from 2,500 TCD.
A target to increase the crushing capacity of Mohiuddinpur-Meerut sugar mill from 3,500 TCD to 5,000 TCD is proposed to benefit 1,00,000 cane farmers in the state.
Cabinet under the has approved guidelines for production of ethanol from cane juice and syrup in the distilleries of the state.
Cabinet order is as follows-
1. The decision will aid in reducing excess sugar stocks, increasing liquidity with the sugar mills for settling cane farmer’s dues and making higher ethanol available for Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme.
2. Surplus sugar production has depressed sugar prices, thereby impacting sugar industry’s capacity to pay sugar cane farmers. The ex-distillery price of ethanol derived from cane juice is Rs 85 per liter while that from C- heavy molasses is Rs 45.69 per liter, for the ethanol supply year beginning December 2020. Higher remunerative price for ethanol produced from cane juice will help in reduction of cane farmer’ arrears.
3. Sugarcane juice shall mean, primary juice, secondary juice, mixed juice and clear juice as obtained by sulphitation or defecation process. Sugarcane syrup shall mean concentrated juice having total dissolved solid content not less than 50 brix.
4. Sugar mills with captive distilleries within the premises shall be allowed to produce ethanol from cane juice and syrup. Standalone distilleries will not be allowed to produce ethanol from cane juice and syrup.
5. Ethanol produced from cane juice shall be used only for Ethanol Blended (EBP) Programme.
6. As no sugar or molasses is produced in the process, the income from ethanol derived from cane juice and syrup shall be tagged for payment of sugarcane dues to farmers. All the instructions regarding cane allotment and cane payment issued from time to time shall be binding on these units.
7. The state government has earlier permitted ethanol production from B- heavy molasses. Since then, more than 40 distilleries in the state are producing ethanol form B-heavy molasses, resulting in a significant increase in ethanol production in the state. The state is the highest producer of ethanol in the country.
Cabinet decision will empower the sugar mills to choose between production of sugar or production of ethanol from cane juice, based on viability of market price of sugar, further improving the income of sugar mills and there by better cane payment to farmers.